Peru & U wants to make sure you have everything you need to have a comfortable and enjoyable trekking experience. So, have you thought about what essentials you should pack for this amazing journey?
During the Inca Trail you will hike through dazzling mountain ranges, diverse flora and fauna, and awe-inspiring cultural and archaeological sites, it's essential to be prepared for the Machu Picchu weather. Located at an altitude of 2,400m (7,874 ft) above sea level, the weather can often be unpredictable. The region has two main seasons – the dry season from April to September and the wet season from October/November to March. While it's possible to hike to Machu Picchu year-round (with the exception of February when the trails are closed), it's recommended to consider the weather conditions before embarking on your journey.
To help you prepare for your trek, we've put together a detailed Inca Trail packing list, ensuring that you have everything you need to experience the true wonder of Machu Picchu.
The list begins with your official permit, which can only be obtained through your tour operator. Additionally, keep your passport in a safe and accessible place, so you can enter the trail with ease. Next, it's essential to have a camera with extra batteries and enough memory cards to capture all of the breathtaking moments along the way. By following our Inca Trail packing list, you'll be prepared to take on this incredible adventure, stress-free and ready to experience the magic of Machu Picchu.
Other must-have items include the following items:
• Camera (Do not forget to bring extra batteries. Also, make sure you have enough memory cards!)
• Waterproof hiking shoes
• Flip-flops (thongs/sandals)
• Waterproof clothes
• A hat or a peaked cap as protection against the Sun, rain, and wind
• Wet wipes
• Water bottle to be refilled in campsites
• Warm clothes for overnights
• Clothes in layers (E.g. zip-off pants to shorts, T-shirt, long sleeve, fleece, etc.)
• Torch (flashlight)
• Sun cream and lip balm – you will trek in a high altitude; sun intensity is higher than normal. (Mandatory)
• Swimsuit– you may need it in Aguas Calientes’ famous hot springs.
• Insect repellant – DEET 20 strongly recommended
• A walking stick (provided by View Peru)
• Toilet Paper (provided by View Peru)
• That warm pillow
• A travel journals
• A Spanish phrasebook
• Random items to giveaway
By following our Inca Trail packing list, you'll be prepared to take on this incredible adventure, stress-free and ready to experience the magic of Machu Picchu.
Important Information and Age Requirements for The Inca Trail:
• We do not recommend this journey if you suffer from high blood pressure. If you have any other medical conditions, please consult with your doctor before embarking on this trip and inform your travel specialist well in advance. Additionally, the minimum age requirement for this trip is 12 years old.